Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crockpot BBQ Apple Pork Tenderloin

I am obsessed with finding new healthy crockpot meals! My goal is to make dinner in the crockpot at least once a week, ideally twice. I mean, how awesome is it to come home from work and have dinner ready? It is so much better than stopping to pick something up, or having to slave in the kitchen for an hour when I am already hungry and exhausted.

I adapted this recipe from one I saw on Pintrest, and it was so simple and delicious that I couldn't help but share! There are literally 4 ingredients. That's it! You can't get much easier than that, right? Plus, it's pretty versatile, so you could easily change it up a little bit to make different variations.

Here are the ingredients:

1 pound pork tenderloin (you could use turkey or beef tenderloin if you don't eat pork)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (chunky is best, but not necessary)
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup minced onion



It was really eye opening to find a BBQ sauce that was anything I could consider adding to a clean recipe. Almost every single bottle in the store had high fructose corn syrup, and usually as the first ingredient! Some of them had more than 20 ingredients that I did not recognize, and many topped off at more than 20 grams of sugar per serving! I did end up finding a good choice though, with all natural ingredients that I recognized and only 6 grams of sugar per serving. Just check your labels carefully and choose wisely. Or, you could choose to make your own BBQ sauce. Simply google "homemade BBQ sauce" and a ton of recipes come up. For my purposes, I was trying to make a super fast meal that could be thrown into the crock pot in 5 minutes on a weekday morning, so I wanted to use bottled.



To make this, you literally just have to place the pork tenderloin, silver skin removed, on the bottom of the slow cooker.



Mix the applesauce and BBQ sauce together and pour evenly over the pork. Top with minced onion. Cook on high for 6 hours. When done, the meat should easily shred with two forks. Stir the shredded pork with the sauce and let it sit in the crock pot for about 5 more minutes, to make sure that all of the meat has been soaked with the sauce.



I served the meat on top of a piece of whole wheat toast with a spinach and raspberry side salad, but it would be great as a shredded pork sandwich on a bun, or on top of rice, or even wrapped up in lettuce! There are tons of options.



Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment