Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Chicken and Cheese Chimichangas

I have to give credit to my sister-in-law Erin for this recipe. It was one of the first of many that I have gotten from her over the years, and it remains a favorite in our house. The best thing about it is that it was so already healthy, so I really didn't have to modify it much for our clean eating lifestyle.

I think what is so great about these chimi's is that they can be thrown together in just a few minutes, and can be on the table in 30 minutes start to finish. Plus, I always make them the night we go grocery shopping and I use a rotisserie chicken! You all know I love shortcuts, and what is easier than using an already cooked chicken? Bonus is that at Costco the rotisserie chicken is only $4.99, so it's cheaper than buying raw chicken and cooking it too!

clean eating chicken and cheese chimichangas


Honestly, these guys couldn't be easier. Here are the ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cooked and shredded white meat chicken
2/3 cup Pace Pecante Sauce (or chunky salsa of your choice)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup shredded cheese (I use whatever we have on hand-- usually a mexican blend)
Tortillas (best to use corn, but they break more easily. I find sprouted wheat varieties at Trader Joes)
Olive Oil spray

Preheat the oven to 475. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large deep rimmed pan and simmer 5 minutes, or until the flavors are well combined.

Spoon 1/3 cup of filling and 2 tbsp cheese onto each tortilla, and roll up like a burrito. Spray the tops of the chimichangas with olive oil cooking spray (or just brush them with EVOO).

Bake at 475 for 13-15 minutes or until tortillas are crispy and chimichangas are heated through. Enjoy with a dollop of guacamole or greek yogurt and some chopped cilantro on top!

1 comment:

  1. This looks sooo yummy. Im definitely going to have to make for my kiddos. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete