Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fruit and Nut Chicken Salad

I have been following the 21 Day Fix meal plan lately, and it has been really eye opening! I learned that even though I was eating clean foods, too many of my calories were coming from carbs each day, and not enough from fruits and veggies. So I've been trying to come up with recipes for lunches that I can eat without any carbs, but I was getting a little bored of having a salad with chicken or salmon on it every day.

I decided to create this awesome chicken salad recipe because I had some leftover rotisserie chicken and didn't want to throw it away. Whenever we go to Costco we buy their rotisserie chicken, because HELLO! It is $4.99 and HUGE! There is so much white meat on it that I had more than what I needed for last nights chicken and cheese chimichangas, so I decided to use ingredients I had at home to create a yummy lunch for today.



I like chicken salad, but it's usually loaded with fattening mayo, which I refuse to eat. Lately I substitute plain fat free greek yogurt for anything that calls for mayo or sour cream, so I decided to use as my base. It didn't have much flavor that way, though, so I started adding other stuff I had laying around. The result was this super delicious fruit and nut chicken salad that was absolutely incredible!

Here is what I used, but of course, feel free to substitute your own ingredients that you have lying around!

1 cup shredded cooked white meat chicken
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Fage fat free)
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped red grapes
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
drizzle of honey to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Fruit and Nut chicken salad

I just mixed it all together in a tupperware and let it sit overnight in the fridge. The next day the flavors had all combined, the apples and nuts were still crunchy but the honey had sweetened everything just enough to reduce the tanginess of the yogurt, and I was one happy girl!

In my efforts to reduce my carbs, I just ate mine with a fork, but it would be really great as a sandwich, or on top of greens as a salad, or scooped up on some whole grain crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment