Monday, September 2, 2013

40 Before 40

So, when I turned 36 this year I realized that I am only four years away from... (gasp!) the big 4-0. I am not really one to feel bad about getting older, but I did find myself reflecting on the fact that time goes so quickly, and before I blink I'll be in my 40's. I decided that I wanted to make a conscious effort to do some things before I turn 40, so that I don't have that big birthday and think "oh no, I'm 40 and have so many things I haven't done yet." Hence, my 40 before 40 list.

So here it is. I'm sharing it with all of you so that it holds me more accountable to actually accomplishing these things.

  1. Take the family to Hawaii
  2. Spend a night with Marc at a really amazing resort
  3. Rent a beach house for a week with the family
  4. Visit a Canyon Ranch Spa
  5. Run in a 10K
  6. Run in a half marathon
  7. Learn how to grow a garden and actually do it
  8. Live in “the house” we want to finish raising our kids in
  9. Establish a group of friends with kids similar in age to ours whom we regularly hang out with (monthly dinners?)
  10. Establish weekly family game nights
  11. Have all four of us eating the same dinner nightly
  12. Take yoga classes
  13. Create and maintain an organization system for paperwork/bills/mail
  14. Take cooking classes
  15. Find an annual charity activity the family volunteers for together
  16. Meditate
  17. Spend an entire day doing nothing but reading books for pleasure (not when I’m sick)
  18. Spend an entire day being pampered
  19. Get into a routine of monthly date nights
  20. Spend the night at a Disneyland hotel and spend two full days at the parks, including fireworks
  21. Go on a “girls trip”
  22. Learn how to digital scrapbook and catch up
  23. Eat completely clean 90% of the time
  24. Find one kind of wine I really like and keep some in the house
  25. Delegate housework
  26. Take Taylor to a musical theater show
  27. Get to a place where I feel completely confident with my body
  28. Do something that scares the crap out of me
  29. Learn to ride a bike (maybe that counts as #28?)
  30. Create a will
  31. Follow a budget
  32. Start college savings for both kids
  33. Make emergency kits for family to store in garage
  34. Let go of friendships that breed negativity and work on strengthening positive friendships
  35. Practice random act of kindness (buy person behind me’s coffee, bring food to a homeless person, etc)
  36. Go on a hot air balloon ride
  37. Spend a weekend completely by myself
  38. Establish our own religious traditions
  39. Parent like I should- it’s my job to teach my children right from wrong, to keep them healthy, teach them good habits and morals and to raise them as good people. It is not my job to make sure they are always happy, to teach them to have a sense of entitlement, or to give them everything they want
  40. Find a job that I enjoy and that I feel confident in
 
So there you have it. Some big things, some little things. Now let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment