Monday, September 9, 2013

Strawberry Feta Quinoa Salad

I am honestly LOVING experimenting with quinoa lately. If you are new to quinoa (pronounced keen-wa), you should definitely not be afraid to try it! Now known as one of the earth's superfoods, quinoa is the only grain that is also a complete source of protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids.  As one of the healthiest grains around, it is also one of the most versatile. You can eat quinoa in savory or sweet dishes, for breakfast, lunch or dinner! It' s a little bit like rice, in that it picks up the flavor of whatever you cook it with. It's also incredibly easy to make... just combine one part quinoa with two parts water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover until liquid has been absorbed. Easy peasy!

So I was wanting to try a refreshing quinoa salad recipe. It has been so incredibly hot and humid around here lately that all I want to eat is cold stuff! I am always looking for foods that I can prepare at night and just throw in my cooler the next day for lunch, and this week, my lunch for two days is this delicious strawberry feta quinoa salad!

It honestly took me a total of 15 minutes to make this (including making the quinoa, but minus the time it cooled in the fridge- I was sleeping!), and I have lunch for two days! Here is the recipe:

 



  • 1 C uncooked quinoa (cooked in 2 cups water)
  • 2 C sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1/3 C (or to taste) crumbled feta cheese (I used reduced fat)
  • 4-5 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1T dry (highly recommend fresh, it's a big part of what makes this salad taste so yummy)
  • 1/2 C chopped walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2-3 T honey
In a small pot, bring 1C quinoa and 2C water to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Refrigerate for about an hour or until room temperature. I did it overnight and just added the other ingredients the next morning.

In a large bowl, mix together cold quinoa with remaining ingredients and toss. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment