Monday, September 9, 2013

Mediterranean Chickpea Salad

I love making quick, easy salads that I can bring with me for lunch on a workday. It is even better when that salad can marinate overnight and not be soggy the next day. I am so strapped for time in the mornings trying to get my kids and I out of the house on time that anything I can do the night before is a huge plus for me!

This salad is perfect, because it is best the day after it is made, once it's had a chance to really marinate and combine all of the flavors. I also like it because it is so easy! And it has garbanzo beans in it, which are a great source of protein.



For the Salad:
  • 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)
  • 1/8 C chopped fresh flatleaf parsley (or you could use 1/2 T dry)
  • 1/2 C diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 C diced tomato
  • 1 4 oz can sliced black olives
  • 1/8 C diced red onion
  • 1/4 C chopped canned artichoke hearts
  • 1/2 C chopped cucumber
  • 2 oz crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
For the Dressing:
  • 1/2 T lemon juice (half of a lemon)
  • 1/2 T red wine vinagar
  • 1/4 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 T plain greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste

Drain and rince garbanzo beans. Place in a medium sized bowl. Wash and dice veggies into small pieces and add ot the bowl. Crumble feta on top and add olives.

In a shaker or water bottle, add all ingredients for the dressing and shake to mix. Pour over salad and toss. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment